Saturday, March 17, 2012

Shamrock Fruit Smoothie

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We decided to mix it up today and instead of having our usual pink  berry/banana/spinach smoothie (a la Kim Woodwards), we kept everything green and left out the berries!

Ahhh! Since when is Mr. Clean a guardian shoulder angel?!

Stephen was thoroughly grossed out by this (he had to leave the room), but it's SO tasty! I took one taste and was instantly in tropical heaven. Just trust me. You have to try this!

Shamrock Fruit Smoothie:

Throw the following into a blender together and blend until smooth (make sure the bits of spinach have completely disappeared):
handful of spinach (you can't taste it at all!)
1 banana (frozen or fresh)
1 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
1 cup of orange juice
1 cup of vanilla yogurt

Optional: I also added a tablespoon of cream of coconut (a splash of coconut milk would probably do the trick) to my cup.

We babysat Joseph's bud Noah all day today, so we had ourselves a little St. Patty's celebration after lunch.


The boys were happily eating their strawberry yogurt together when all of a sudden...


Hey?! What's going on over there?! What's she doing with the blender??


Mmmm. Smoothies.


Joseph was immediately on board with the whole green smoothie deal. If it comes from our blender, he's instantly a believer.

Noah took a little convincing. I originally gave him the same cup as Joseph, but he was leery of how very green it was. I had to pour his smoothie into a sippy cup to camouflage the color before he would try it.


He was completely sold.

We also made Irish Soda Bread together (the boys took turns adding ingredients) and snacked on it the rest of the day while listening to excessive numbers of Irish & Celtic Music Podcasts


There may have been dancing. ;)

3 comments:

  1. So fun! I'm going to have to try this smoothie recipe. I've been putting spinach in like everything I make lately but I hadn't thought about smoothies. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a fabulously fun babysitter. Also, Joseph keeps getting cuter and cuter!

    Your music taste is, like your taste in movies, excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am skeptical that you can't taste the spinach, but it would be good to get a little more green in my diet, so given that everything else in that smoothie sounds AMAZING, maybe I'll give it a go the next time I feel adventurous! :) I mean, if a TODDLER can handle it, *I* certainly should!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!