Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Would you like cream or sugar with that?

There's this wonderful lady at the town office named Jeanie who's always been interested in the Traveler's Inn & Coffee Shop. She's the one who gave me the picture of the car crash. When Ruby Corbin, the operator of the Traveler's Inn & Coffee Shop, died two or so years ago, Jeanie went to the estate sale. At the estate sale, she purchased a few dishes that used to be in the Coffee Shop.

Being the sweet and wonderful lady that she is, Jeanie was trusting enough to let me borrow these nifty dishes and take lots of pictures of them. Also, she knows where I live. So she could easily send the cops after me if I didn't bring her precious historical town items back. Then, when I did bring them back (to avoid getting thrown into the county lock up), she told me that she and her husband had decided to let me KEEP them. OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!! Did I mention that she's wonderful? I meant super-de-duper marvelously spectacularly fantastically mind-blowingly wonderful!!!

Our first Coffee Shop item is this little glass:


If you take cream with your coffee or tea, this is probably what it would have been brought to you in.


It's quite small actually. I would need about 10 of these. Here, Joseph decided to interrupt the photo shoot in an effort to give you an idea of the scale of the glass. So helpful.


Word to the wise: don't attempt an object photoshoot on the seat of a chair if your mobile baby is awake. "No, Joseph! Those are Mommy's toys!"


"But Mom, I want to play with your pretty historical glass artifacts and bang them together. Please? Can I? Pleeeeaaase?"

Next up, is the sugar container that would have been at each table.

I really like the uniqueness of the spout.
Finally, we have this sturdy little bowl.
It's good and hefty and would probably survive a tumble.
I'm betting it was used to serve "Kelloggs cereal with milk" and a variety of soups.
I'm so thrilled to have some Coffee Shop artifacts to display once we've finished the Sandwich Shoppe renovation.

It's going to be the most adorable museum-like living space when I'm done with it. I can't wait to get back to work on it!

1 comment:

  1. So cute!! :)
    And your son's eyelashes.... OMG. I'm resisting my Auntie impulses to kiss his little chubby cheeks on my computer screen. But only barely. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!