Friday, February 26, 2010

An Interesting Character

This semester, I have a student, we'll call him Ham. Ham is a verbally expressive guy. He likes to share his opinions with the class and he keeps us all pretty entertained. He's what I would call an interesting character. You usually have at least one in each class.

Here are a few of my favorite Ham moments from this week.
*****
WHILE EXPLAINING THAT I HAVEN'T FINISHED GRADING THEIR TESTS...

Student 1: Did you grade our tests yet?

Me: Nope. I'm a terrible person. I kick puppies, drown kittens, & kill small children. I fell asleep early last night before grading the short answer sections. Maybe by tomorrow?

Ham: You do all of that?! We should start a group!

Me: What? An intervention group to keep me from destroying innocent lives?

Ham: NO! We all do that stuff too! It could be like a club.

Me: You know your a little crazy, right?

Ham: Definitely.

WHILE WRITING ON THE CHALK BOARD...

Me: (pointing to the board) So what is supply & demand??

Ham: Hey, Mrs. Frizzle?

Me: Yes?

Ham: You have chalk on your belly.

Me: (glancing between my chalk covered black shirted pregnant belly and the clear belly imprint on the board) Huh. I wonder how that could have happened...

IN MY CLASS TODAY...

Me: We've just learned about the different routes of the triangle trade established by the Europeans. Now I'm going to show you a short clip from the movie Amistad which depicts the Middle Passage from Africa to the West Indies. Does anyone have any questions before we begin?

Ham: Mrs. Frizzle?

Me: Yes, Ham?

Ham: I like you. I was thinking about it just now and I've decided I like you.

Me: Umm. Ok. Thanks. A bit random and not exactly related to the Middle Passage... But, I enjoy having you in class as well. Now, back to that clip...
*****
Just a few class moments from the daily life of a high school teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, he's cute. It's nice to have kids in class that make the day exciting. (PS. You might not want to kill small children anymore once you have your own...)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!