Monday, March 21, 2011

Deneglecting My "Gardens"

We decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and spent the weekend working outside.

Several months ago, we planted tulips all along the roadside edge of our back yard. Unfortunately, we weren't able to finish because we had to leave to go out of town. So we set the remaining bulbs aside with every intention of finishing when we got back. Ha. I came across the poor, neglected, unused bulbs out in the Sandwich Shoppe last week. They were desperately trying (in vain) to sprout. Joseph and I took pity on them and stuck them in the ground. They may not live, but at least now they have a shot.


By the way, my idea of planting involves a power drill and a giant auger attachment. I call it "speed gardening." It's the way to go! Just ask Joseph. He thinks the crazy noise and flying dirt is HI-larious!

With the mercy planting out of the way, I moved on to the front garden beds... which I have neglected since last spring. There were little spots of green peeking out from all that dead stuff. Suffocating. Crying out for help. Guilt ridden, I started madly hacking & pulling. I was too focused on my task to remember to take a before picture, but let's just say there was a lot of dead debris.


A lot! That pile is a good 6 feet wide. And you wouldn't believe how much garbage was hiding in that tangled mess! I can understand candy from parades, but beer cans, chip wrappers, cigarettes??? All thrown into our garden bed by passersby. One of the downsides to living right up against the main street. Seriously rude, don't you think?

And what do you know? There were daffodils & newly sprouting silver dust under all of that! What persistent little devils! To protect the new greenery, we decided to go crazy and mulch.


Lowes was having a $2.50/bag sale on the high end black mulch, so we went all out. It really spiffies up the place. Well, as much as you can spiffy up a garden bed bordered by parking spot barriers...


At the end of the day, I got to sit in a rocker on my porch and enjoy the pretty, cheerful daffodils.



Of course, now that our garden looks all neat, you really notice the peeling paint on the porch. I suppose I'll be scraping, sanding, and repainting sometime soon!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited!!
    And I really hope you're not all poison ivy'd!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!