Tuesday, September 7, 2010

shiny hubcaps, polka dot bikinis, and a little help...

A while back, I awoke to loud music coming in from the street outside my house. I promptly ignored it, rolled over, and went back to sleep. I live near a car wash and you'd be amazed at how many people leave their music blaring while they polish their hubcaps at all hours of the day and night. The weird thing was that the music kept on coming all morning long! Finally, Stephen looked out the window and said, "Woah! Come see!"


Apparently, our town hosts a classic car fest every summer. Who knew? Anyways, after we realized what all the hullabaloo was about, I grabbed my camera and headed across the street to interrogate politely inquire about what in the world was going on... and to take a million pictures.

We were experiencing a "Cruise-In". Prior to this event, I'd never even heard of a "Cruise-In", but I am officially a fan.


To sum up, lots of classic car enthusiasts park their restored vintage vehicles in a giant field or lot, pop open their hoods to admire each others' shiny hand-built engines, start up a BBQ, and play really loud oldies music. "Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini" was just one of many of my favorite oldies tunes played at this event. Who doesn't love that song? It's just so happy and playful! If your response is "me" then you shall have to be publicly shunned.

Ok, maybe not, but really?!? How could you?

The nice old man that I interrogated politely questioned was very helpful and told me all about the cruise-ins that take place all around the state. He had driven in from Williamsburg and gave me a bunch of his fliers for future cruise-in meets. He even gave me some photography tips and told me that life is too short and that I should pursue my passions and enjoy myself. He also told me that I shouldn't get married or have kids because then I could spend all of my money on photography equipment and restore classic cars to my hearts content... I laughed a lot at that one, waved my ring finger around, and told him I had a baby. He shook his head and said, "It's ok. I still like you." (in a non-creepy way)

I love this car. It's so sweet!

Now, I need your help. I've been entering into weekly photo challenges and contests to give myself a reason to improve my photography. It just so happens that both the Digital Photography School and I Heart Faces are hosting vroom, vroom car assignments. Will you help me pick a picture to enter into the contests? I can't decide!

Also, you can play "Where's Caroline" while you scrolling through. Those were some shiny cars and I'm in about 7 of these pictures.





























Also... Wouldn't these be great framed art in my future retro-style Sandwich Shoppe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!