Sunday, June 7, 2009

You know your house is old if...

...you find the following type of beer can chilling out in your attic:
Pabst was founded in 1844 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I couldn't find a date on the can, so I did a little research. The Blue Ribbon Beer emerged in the 1880s, but it came in bottles back then. Pabst was the first to offer beer in cans, shortly after Prohibition was ended in 1933. Prohibition. What a bad idea.
The Blue Ribbon logo didn't emerge until the 40s. Prior to WWII, the company had tied blue silk ribbons on their beer bottles. But silk was rationed during WWII, so they came up with the logo. Anyways, that probably places my beer can at sometime during the 40s or 50s. Sometime during WWII or in the decade following. I like to think about who might have been hiding up in the attic drinking beer. Maybe they were fixing something up in the attic. Or maybe they just wanted a moment of peace. Or maybe they were a defiant teenager. The possibilities are endless.
Apparently, you could have gotten 1 1/2 cents for turning this can in back in the 1940s or 50s.
I love that the can was opened that way. It makes me happy. Hmm. I think I'll go out and get some Pabst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!