Friday, March 11, 2011

Adventures in Millinery: The Pillbox Hat

Now that we've made a fascinator hat and an apron, let's make a pillbox hat!

As I have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING and have never made a hat in my life... I found this very helpful video tutorial on youtube:



Isn't she great? Applause!

So, let's get started by cutting out our fabric with our homemade pattern... I really like finding free patterns or directions for patterns online. It's one of those little things that makes me happy.



Humble Bumblebee used a heavy weight fabric, but I wanted to use the same lighter weight fabric that was in the dress, so I also cut out some heavy weight fleece with the same pattern to line the hat with and make it hold it's shape better.



And from that point on I had some difficulties due to the added lining and a few stupid mistakes on my part... So I got a bit focused and frustrated... and forgot to take any more pictures... Fortunately, Humble Bumblebee has got my back and you can follow her superb instructions. I want to try this project again soon with a more appropriate fabric.

Due to my fabric choices, I still didn't think the hat would hold it's shape as well as I wanted it to, so I hot glued & sewed another yogurt lid into the inside top of the hat. It made the form more rigid and had the added bonus of tricking Sarah into wearing another yogurt lid on her head. Bwahahaha. Evil Sister-In-Law strikes again.

Anyways, this is how it turned out.


I made another fabric rose and hot glued it into place... but it seemed lonely, so I gave it two little brown tails. I think they make the hat. Overall it turned out well, but I still want to try again with a thicker felted material some time.

Next, though, I think I want to attempt a newsboy cap for Joseph. I have this idea for a one year photoshoot stuck in my head.


I've got some green tweed that should work nicely... I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comment:

  1. I love that you made a pillbox hat! So fun!

    And that newsboy hat will be too much on your little guy. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!