Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Heart Craigslist

We bought a dining room furniture set off of Craigslist last week. We have a dining room table already, but it is small and doesn't have any leaves. It's functional and sturdy, but not really suited to large family gatherings. We have a large family and we like having gatherings. The set included a china cabinet, a dining room table, three leaves for expansion, and 8 matching chairs. And it was only $150 for the whole set!!








The china cabinet is in really great shape and only has a few dings.


The table and chairs are a little more banged up and some of the legs could use some tightening.


I like how curvy all of it is. I think it has great potential!



The chairs are harp backed (which I love!) and need to be reupholstered.


So the whole set is a little banged up, but it's all solid wood. I hope to give the whole set a darker finish.

The best part is that the furniture has the official Bassett Furniture seal. Bassett Furniture has been around since the late 1800s and is one of the oldest furniture companies in Virginia. For more on their history, go here. I'm excited about the $150 price on this set because Bassett china cabinets cost between $2000 and $3000, their dining tables cost between $800 and $1200, and their chairs are typically $100 to $300. All in all, I think we got a pretty good deal.

Even better, we cleared the dining room out and as soon as we figure out what to do with the old table and chairs (and the ridiculous number of computers), we will have an actual dining room that you can walk in.

3 comments:

  1. That is AMAZING!!! Craigslist really is fantastic! And dining room sets that come with a history are my favorite...especially when you get them for 97.5% off! ...and....I have an idea where you could put all of those computers and yards of cords.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hutch! I have been looking for a sweet find like that forever!! I just noticed you found my blog the other day. We (the fiance and I) found yours a few months back when we first bought our home and were trying to find good radiator cover pics via google. Im a huge fan of the work you two have done on your place :). You even inspired me to make my seperate blog about my reno projects!!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great set! One day I will find a set on craigslist that is that nice for that $. I'm being patient.

    I'm not at all jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!