Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Addition

For those of you who were unaware (assuming anyone still reads this blog outside of my family), we started work on the addition for a second upstairs bathroom with the help of my husband's terrific relatives.

However, before we ever lifted a hammer, the Professor put a lot of time into planning the addition and applying for permits.

I'm glad he has the skills to use programs like Sketchup. If the plans had been left to me, they would have looked like this:
What? I do all of my best work with crayons and napkins. Bunch of plan snobs.

Ok, ok! The permit office never would have taken us seriously and the addition probably would have fallen over. Not to mention the fact that the house would have been eaten by an oversized kindergartener's flower...

Thankfully, the plans produced by the Professor looked a little more professional than my plans. His plans had actual measurements and lacked the color magenta (mores the pity).
His plans were approved by the permit office. We are officially building on top of the existing downstairs bathroom addition.
The future layout for the bathroom started out looking like this:Ooo! A toilet and a door! How exciting!

Then the layout progressed to this:Not bad, but the stairs are floating in the middle of the room and the shower's plumbing would be difficult to access.

With some expert feedback from my husband's uncles, we changed the bathroom layout to look like this:


Thank you, expert uncles! We appreciate all of your time and expertise! You saved us from the giant monstrous flower. I shudder to think what would have happened without you...

It's going to be a while before the addition becomes an actual bathroom with a toilet, sink, and shower. For now, the existing platform/roof make for a great balcony!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!!