Thursday, March 4, 2010

Student Solar Systems

I'm no science teacher, but I do teach about the Scientific Revolution. You know - Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton? Yeah. Those dudes.

Before teaching the kids about the Scientific Revolution and subsequent transition from a geocentric to a heliocentric universe, I have the kids draw what they believe the solar system looks like.

Most, MOST, of them will draw some planets orbiting around the sun. They may not have the right number of planets, the right names for the planets, or the right order of planets. They may debate over Pluto's status as a planet. Poor Pluto. But for the most part, the sun is in the center.

This gives me an opening to tell them they are all crazy and according to Ptolemy the earth was in the center. It's good fun. We get in a huge argument over it. Then I get to introduce them to the Scientific Revolution and they all groan because they've been hoodwinked. Like I said, good fun!

More entertaining, however, is finding alternate student interpretations of the solar system... Such as these... (click on images to enlarge)

The Government Conspiracy

The Chuck Norris Solar System

And my favorite...
I'll share more of this kids doodles another time. They are pretty entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. That is GREAT!
    I don't think I was ever encouraged to draw anything funny in High School. You rock, Mrs. Teacherlady.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!