Monday, December 28, 2009

History 101: Historic District Blurb

In a conversation with Glenda, my husband's now retired boss' wife and the sweetest lady ever, I learned that our Town Hall had a pamphlet listing information on all houses registered in the Historic District. WHAT?!?! Why didn't I check on this before?? Oh, right, time...

I was so excited, I went over to the town hall first thing this morning.

Historic District Blurb:

"This site was previously the location of Reverend Paul Henkel's first house, constructed circa 1791 and later moved to a lot on [another street]. The current building was constructed between 1876 and 1885. This building was utilized as a rooming house at one time, and was also the site of the [Town] Tea Room."

So excited and so many questions stem from this... (Yay, history!)

Who the heck is Paul Henkel? When was it used as a rooming house? By whom? And I want more info on the Tea Room!!

I guess I'll have to consult the town historian who dresses up in Civil War dresses and gives walking tours. I should also pick up some of the books listed in the section of the pamphlet entitled "For further reading." I'm sure the town library has them.

2 comments:

  1. You can find some stuff on Google. Including links back to JMU.
    Enjoy the digging!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!!